Childbirth in the age of social media

My Son Was Born on Twitter

This blog post by Lee Stranahan about the role Twitter, Facebook, and Flikr played in his wife's recent planned unassisted homebirth was very interesting! I know that during Charlie's labor we were on message boards and on Facebook -- and it actually totally saved our goose that we were because our childcare totally fell through and we were able to get the word out FAST to a lot of people that we needed help. And really, frankly, most of my best friends are not in Pittsburgh. Either they're friends I've known for years who live elsewhere, or friends who live elsewhere that I know online. It might be sad in a way but really, when is having a friend, period, not really a huge blessing?

So what are your thoughts on tweeting and facebooking, etc, during labor?

No comments: